Saturday, June 24, 2017
I wanted to say a big thank you for all your support and help this year. I enjoyed working with your children and hope everyone has a great summer! Thank you so much for the generous gifts. I will cherish the class photo and put the gift card to go use this summer! The Coke.....well that's already gone ;)
Wednesday, June 7, 2017
Just a reminder Field Day is ALL day on Friday. Unfortunately it looks like it's going to be a soggy day :( Unless it is canceled prior to Friday, we will try to get outside even in light rain. On top of the rain, there are two really wet water stations. I wanted to remind everyone to bring in towels, extra change of clothes, dry shoes and a bag to put their wet clothes into. Bug spray and sunscreen should be applied in the morning before school. Fingers crossed for REAL June weather!
On Friday, June 16th, the third grade will be walking to Stratham Hill Park for a picnic and a day of fun to celebrate the end of the school year! Each student will need to bring a lunch, or order a bag lunch from the cafeteria. Your order must be in by Monday, June 12th. Please let me know if you would like a lunch order form. Parent volunteers are providing snacks, drinks, and desserts. All parents are welcome to meet us there. We should be arriving around 10 a.m.
Children may bring something to play with since we will be playing games at the park. Anything that is allowed on the playground may be used at the park. This includes: jump ropes, gym balls, lacrosse sticks, whiffle balls and plastic bats, etc…
Students should wear sunscreen and sneakers and bring a labeled water bottle. If it rains, we will have an indoor picnic and play some indoor games.
Thursday, May 25, 2017
Yesterday we were able to get out and do some gardening! We started the Three Sisters garden for next year's 3rd graders. Ask your student all about the Three Sisters! It was a great math and science lesson. The seeds we planted were corn. We had to measure the bed using only 2 meter sticks, divide it into thirds, and plant the seeds in a north, east, south and west order 6 inches apart. Lastly, we had to plant each seed 4 inches down. We are excited to watch the growth of our garden!
Thursday, May 4, 2017
Friday, June 2nd at 8:00 am in the LIBRARY for refreshments. Followed by a school wide morning presentation by the students to thank all the volunteers at 8:45am in the gymnasium.
Monday, May 1, 2017
I hope everyone had fabulous vacation! Here is an update of what we have been doing in the classroom. Please take a good look at the important reminders section as the end of the year is crazy and comes fast!
We are learning:
We are learning:
- all about fractions
- how to write a persuasive speech
- all about force and motion
- syllabication in spelling
- how to turn a question around to answer in a complete sentence
Ask me about:
- fraction kites
- The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles
- Mystery Science
- Bridge penny challenge
- unbalanced forces
- equivalent fractions
- Fraction Top-It
- the topic for our first persuasive speech
- Smarter Balanced Testing will begin next Monday. Students are allowed to practice taking test questions from home. To do this, they should go to the SMS website, click "Learning Links", choose "grade 3". They login as a guest. We have done this in school, so they should be familiar with this. The first week will be English/Language Arts and the second week will be Math. Much of the testing will take place in the morning starting at 9am.
- Early Release: May 17th, students dismissed at 12:50pm
- No School: May 29th
- Boston Museum of Science field trip: May 31st. More information to follow, but we will need chaperones!
- Field Day: June 9th
- Stratham Hill Park: We will have our end of the year celebration with the entire 3rd grade at the park on 6/16. We will hike over in the morning, stay for games and lunch, and hike back before dismissal.
- Last day: June 20th